skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Some back-tracking!





I FINALLY found my long lost camera cord so now I can tell you all how things went in California when we met our birth mother, Hi
Suk- complete
with a small photo montage! Well, first of all, none of this would have possible without Taylor's fantastic aunt and uncle who live right outside of San Fransisco, the designated meeting place. They were so gracious enough to let us crash at their home (their amazing, beautiful, splendid, newly-remodeled, kid-loving home) and even let us use their car to get to and fro... it was really so nice of them and we appreciate it immensely. The trip was filled with a full day in the city, walking along the piers, eating at Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park, Palace of Fine Arts, etc... so much to do, so little time. My little brother, Wendel and Ava became fast buddies and it definitely helped that Ava was an angel the whole time- which really surprised me since we were going, going, going almost the whole time. She was so patient which made this little vacation so much sweeter for me! The day before we were to meet with Hi Suk and Jean Claude, her husband, I get a frantic email saying their tour was a little off schedule and they wouldn't be arriving in San Fran until about 5pm, instead of 11am that morning. She was panicked that we wouldn't be able to connect with each other and this whole trip was for nothing!!! (She's not at alllll dramatic like Me! NOoooo sir!) Luckily we made contact and decided that T, Wendel, Ava and I would just go to the hotel they were staying at around 5pm and spend the time there instead of in the city. Great plan! 5pm and the four of us got to the hotel without a hitch and were walking in toward the concierge desk- when all of a sudden we hear a loud squeal of excitement! We turn around and I got totally mauled by our long lost birth mother!!! She is by far one of the best huggers in the WORLD!!!! It was such an adrenaline rush for all of us, hugging, laughing, more hugging and a few tears (from us gals, obviously the guys had to keep it all locked up!). I wrote in my journal when I got back from the hotel this: "Meeting Hi Suk for the first time wasn't scary for me at all, I was calm, but excited. I can't really describe the feeling of the very first hug- only like it was meeting an old friend again after a long time apart- it was warm and sweet. I am now sitting here knowing this was the right thing to do". We all went to the lobby area to talk for a while and share some photos of Wendel and I from our younger years. She was so funny! Always stroking our faces, drinking it in. Then going off with Ava- who was just barely learning how to walk a few steps at a time then- encouraging her in French baby-talk. It was priceless to watch her with Ava, since she and I look so much alike at that age, Hi Suk kept muttering my birth name into her hair and holding her tight. It made my heart ache and explode with happiness at the same time. After a nice dinner at a nearby sushi bar, we went back to the hotel for some more talking. Hi Suk gave Ava and I both dresses called a hanbok which we dressed Ava up in right then and there! What a doll! The dresses are gorgeous, mine is pure white on top with elaborate hand stitching around the collar and scarlet red on bottom.
At the end of the night, none of us wanted to leave- but we knew it wouldn't be the last time we saw each other. We were all so elated the whole way back to the Edgrin's home.
I'm so blessed to have such great families in my life. My birth mother is an inspiration to me. She reminds me that when trials come our way, it's alright to grieve but building a great life afterwards is the best thing to do for your soul. My own mother, Viki, is a huge example of unconditional love and fortitude. Her whole life was dedicated toward making sure her children know they are loved immensely. And my sweet husband who is the biggest supporter and most solid person in my life- someone who doesn't take our blessings for granted and who encourages me to become the mother I want to be. I know that my life is richly blessed because of the people who I love and who love me back.
Thank you all so much for your support and well-wishes with this little adventure of mine- I'm so grateful for your thoughts!
15 comments:
I am so happy for you. What a blessing to be able to meet her in person. She sounds so awesome. The story is so fairytale like. Looks like you will have a good story to tell Ava before bed.
What a wonderful experience for you and Wendel!! I am so glad that everything went great! This is one of those precious life experiences that help us grow and become a better person.
AH...Katy..between you and Ami's post you are going to have me a blubbering blubber face!! What an awsome story!! I was really looking forward to how it went!!
WOW! What an AMAZING story!! And what a journal entry that would have been! How special to have that chance to be with your birthmom and experience things that way you did! It made me tear up...really. I am so grateful to you for sharing with us....with me....I feel so honored to be a part of your life, in some small way.
P.S. I have tried to call you a billion times. What's up with your phone!?!?! I totally want to see you when I'm there--coming this weekend!!
This is about the coolest blog I've ever read in my life. I'm seriously so happy for you. What a great experience!!!
aw, katy- I love those pictures and reading about your trip further west. you are one lucky girl. And your mom and b-mom are a couple of lucky gals to have you in their lives. So is Ava. So is T. So am I. So are Tim and my kids. So are......etc., etc., etc. I love you! :)
I'm so happy you found your camera cord. I was wondering how your visit went. I'm so glad that it was such a good experience for you. I wish I could have seen you guys when you were at my parents' house.
Once again, you have me in tears reading your story. That is so lovely and so amazing. Thanks for sharing it with all of us! You are so full of love Katy that it is such a great example to all of us.
Katy, I'm crying right now! I love that it went so well!!! What an amazing experience. I can't imagine the flood of so many emotions that both you and her had. I'm so glad you are sharing this on your blog!
Ok, if I can stop bawling my eyes out maybe I'll be able to leave a decent comment. Can I just say your life story could be a blockbuster movie! Ah and you are the one who totally has the talent of wording things perfectly. Hi Suk whispering your birth name into Ava's hair. Man, here I go crying again. What an incredible story and experience. She's so beautiful. Like mother, like daughter, like grand daughter, I suppose. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing! BTW I miss you like crazy! If I haven't mentioned that a billion times already! When are you guys going to move to AZ? You'd be closer to California if you did, you guys could meet Hi Suk in San Fran a lot more often. Maybe you think about it?
I was wondering when we were going to see pictures. I want to see you in your new dress, I'm serious, there better be a picture next time I check the blog. I'm so happy for you and your b-mom. I bet seeing you and Wendel was everything she's ever dreamed for.
Wow what an awesome experience. I am so happy for you that you could meet your birth mother. How wonderful to be blessed with two mothers that love you.
Wow Katy...How incredible. I really want to meet up with you at the park and talk more about your experience. I can't imagine how happy your birth mother must have been after what she went through. Wow...
Your story is so amazing. It's so awesome that you were finally able to meet your birth mother. Ava looks so darling in her hanbok - I'm glad you found your camera cord.
I have to say I shed a tear when reading this story! Its sounds perfect. I'm so glad. We'll have to talk all about it when I see you at the farm. Get ready to be HOT! see you soon.
Post a Comment