Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'm a winner AND a loser

I know what you're thinking after reading my title of this post: "Say Whaaaa??? Katy has absolutely NO part of her that's a loser... that's just crazy-talk and I won't have it". Well, hold yer horses, folks- just hear me out.... Wink.



Yes. I am a winner. I'm a winner of TWO things!!!! So in the past, I can truly say that being "randomly picked for a prize" was just not in my cards. Ever. I've entered into a few (okay 8 billion) giveaways-- especially Pioneer Woman's, cuz who WOULDN'T want an 8-piece Le Crueset set or a spa weekend in Arizona??? But sadly, yes, I fail to beat the other 627,954 readers who want the same thing I do.

Well, Times They Are a-Changin'!

I have won, not only ONE but TWO giveaways recently! Woooo, baby.

First, I won a Mini Photography Session AND a Custom Designed blogger header-- which is badly needed for my own "design" is as exciting as cup of water. I won these two things from the fabulous Jill Aponte Photography.


Thanks a million, Jill, I can't wait for you to do your mini shoot with Ava... it's HARD to shoot your own kids!!! (hmmmm.... that last part sounds suspect. Please. No calling CPS on me.)

As for my second win, I just received it in the mail last week. I subscribe to a fabulous blog called: Take It From Me- which one of my girlfriends, Kristen, administers. She's awesome.... she takes on sponsors and their products (everything from baby items to gift certificates from Down East Clothing) and reviews them, posts whatever the sponsor wants to "giveaway", and then we poor bloggers who-need-to-be-thrown-a-free-bone-once-a-blue-moon enter to win said prizes!!! Easy Peasy, I like Cheesy.



So, check it out... folks- winning feels gooooooood.

In this particular giveaway, I won an adorable headband from The Ciao Bella Boutique
Go take a gander, she makes some great things.... and, if you were wondering... No, I'm NOT too old for a headband, alright? I'm only 19 and a few years.


Thank you Ciao Bella, I love it!! (unfortunatly, so does Ava... therefore we fight over who gets to wear it.)


Pensive. Arm Licker.



Oh Wowwie. That purple makes me happy.


right. self-photos are not easy when your camera weighs 39 pounds.


Thanks so much to:
Jill Aponte Photography
Kristen at Take It From Me
The Ciao Bella Boutique

You made my MONTH!!





And now to the LOSER part of the deal.

Since the beginning of this year, I've been working like mad to lose weight... trust me, I have a LOT to lose. And today... TODAY, I'm happy to say that I've hit my first 30 pound weight loss!!!

"Alright, alright, alright!!" (cuing my Matthew Mcconaughy voice).



This is thrilling for me since I've NEVER been one to LOSE weight, only gain... and gain... and. gain.

Woo!! I love being lighter and having more energy... feeling great!

I still have more I'd like to lose- but today is a big day for me.


Nowadays, it's nice that I don't have to share pants with THIS GUY:


and I don't look at THIS OUTFIT

and think, "hmmmm.... not too bad of an idea".

But mostly getting to this point

feel great.

Here's what I've been doing DIFFERENTLY this time around:
  • WATER. at Minimum I drink 64 ounces of H2O a day. But average about a gallon now.
  • I write nearly every single day in a private blog. It's my journey. It's definitely no Best Seller. But it motivates me, it calms me down on frustrating days, it pumps me up on great days. It saves Taylor from having to listen to every infinitesimal detail on my food/sweat/bellychub.... HA! Kidding, the poor guy STILL has to listen to it all! :) Lucky him.
  • I involve prayer... fervent prayer for His help. This is huge. It works... I promise.
  • Portion control. Portion control. Portion control.
  • Educate. I'm always researching nutrition, workouts, and weight loss articles. I'm also adding more fitness-related blogs on my google reader and starting to slowly ditch the millions of decadent baking blogs on there.
  • I NEVER count calories-- my addition skills are rusty. And it just stresses me out. So this is my mantra: "Don't say NO... just say STOP".
  • Taylor. We're in it together and it's made all the difference this time. We help- not tempt- each other. It's a wonderful feeling to have someone completely on your side... someone who TRULY wants to see you succeed and become the very BEST version of yourself.
  • Eat one pickle per day. I know, it's weird. But I do it. And shoot-- I like pickles.

But if any of you have any tips/advice/secretbodyfatblasterlasers.... let me know! I'm always willing to try, learn and grow (just not in inches).

Namaste (hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah!!) yoga-isms.... it's fun to say it... even though I tend to giggle when I do. Yeah, I never claimed to be maturing while losing this weight!

27 comments:

Globe Trotters said...

Oh my gosh Katy! Congrats! What a HUGE accomplishment. You are such an inspiration. I am going to take some of your pointers into my own life. 30 freakin' lbs. That. is. awesome. YOU are awesome. I like pickles too. Maybe that was the key ingredient I was missing out on- eating them daily. CONGRATS!

The Matlocks said...

Congrats! 30 pounds is HUGE!!!!!! I am jealous :( Congrats on the winnings also. The headband is sooooo cute on both of you :)

Rachel Holloway said...

YOU. ROCK. That's simply the most mild way to say it--

YOU AWE ME..not just with your incredible weight loss, but your self portrait and your amazing winning streak lately. I mean, seriously? That's IMPRESSIVE!

Am truly happy for you--in so many ways. Keep up the good work--but please, oh please, save a snow-cone day for me when I am there. You're allowed to splurge every now and then, right>?

Megan J. Dawson said...

You are awesome. That is such a huge accomplishment. I always admire people that really stick to it. Way to go Katy!

Mindy said...

I adore that headband, and it looks great on both you and Ava!

Congrats on the weight loss... that's a big deal! Keep on doing the "hard" things, like making yourself go to SWET class (or anything else you're afraid of).

Love your guts!!

Candace said...

You're wonderful, amazing, and I want to be just like you. REally. I do. Is that ok?

I need to lose 30 lbs sooooooooo bad!!!!! I work out, but I also eat exactly what I want, so really, I'm lucky if I break even. :/

I enter a lot of Pioneer Woman's giveaways, too, but like you said, that's literally 1 in a million!

angie said...

Good job! What an accomplishment for you! I am wearing a headband right now, so what does that say? I'm older than you. :)

{Alynn} said...

If I come rub your head will it make me lucky??? ...and skinnier!?!

You. are. my. HERO! Three cheers for K!

Mrs. Boojwa said...

Do you weigh like 100 lbs now? If I lost 30 lbs I would... be Claudia's size ;) haha. Ok, so I would be smaller than her (not physically possible), but wow. Congrats! I didn't think you had even that much to lose, but congrats anyhow. That is a huge accomplishment. And there I was bragging about my 4 lbs. :P Anyway, congrats on the giveaways too. I guess the one thing that works for me, is that I eat pretty healthy twice a week, moderately 3 times a week, and kinda let loose on the weekends. I don't go nuts and eat everything, but it makes the weeks not so bad when I see the weekend coming :). And I am jealous you are able to drink so much water. Can I say that TX water makes it difficult to want to drink a lot of it? Not even a brita can fix that. :P

B-Blogit said...

Congrats you loser! :) I think that is a great kind of loser. I stink at winning stuff too so Im with you on that. My wife loves pickles too and so do the kids so hey you guys must have stood in the same line i heaven called Pickle Passion or something. Maybe Jamba will pick up that name and make a drink out of it. It would most certainly taste better than wheatgrass. random.

Haha I love the hippo pictures that was awesome I laughed out loud. I think your blog is much better than anything Oprah could recommend so it is a best seller to me! I love it. If i had a magazine I would totally want you to write a full several page layout!

PS I have been thinking of doing a julie julia deal only fitness related. I was gonna start a blog with some title like This Old Fat Prude Loses Weight or something and writing about it. I was gonna start after my class is finished. thought it would be funny.

Tina Braegger said...

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!! You are AMAZING!!! Way to go!!!! WOW I am really very excited for you, can you tell!!?? That really is so cool. Weight is a constant battle for me so thanks for the tips. I love the prayer one, it really does work! :) Keep it up you hott sexy mama!! hehe!

Matt and Jess said...

You are awesome. I never win anything. ever. Congrats on losing 30 pounds, that is truly amazing! Those are some dang good tips that I'll keep in mind after I have my baby, cuz I'm going to need it!

Jill said...

OH YOUR SWEET! Thanks for the shout out! You totally deserve a mini session, and now since you LOOK A.MAZING I may just have to throw you in the mini session too! I look up to your commitment to do it!! I too have a goal by June so we'll see no promises (I guess I better go throw away my E.L.Fudges I have been harboring! Darn sales at Broulims.)

White Family said...

Hoo-frickin-RAY for your wins and an even bigger shout out of the congratulatory type on your loss! You’ve lost 30 lbs since January?!?!? You’d better believe I’m taking notes from you girly. When I was looking at the posted pics before your loser announcement I thought, “HOT DANG! Katy is looking super SEXY!” Not even kidding Mrs. Wilson. Your skin is aglow, and your face looks SO thin and you just look stinkin’ precious in that head band! Seriously, Katy that’s awesome! You are a thin, teeny tiny (in a big way) inspiration to me. I NEEDED to read this. I have been in a slump and non- motivated sich-ee-ayshon lately when it comes to weight loss. I never thought of seeking divine intervention because I always thought it was just too trivial, but honestly, He wants us to be happy and healthy just as much as we badly want it, why wouldn’t our Father be there every step of the way to help us in the matter? Great great GREAT tips! So many people say, “I’ve lost a billion pounds and I feel awesome. The end.” And leave me thinking, “HOW?!?!” I am glad that you added your tips and tricks and I’m SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO excited to see your new physique this summer, YAY! Congrats, you little stunner you!

Jake and RaNette Free said...

Pickles.... ewwww. Jake chases me around with those nasty shriveledy sour bumpy green things, and I run - fast! Hey what is the blog address for "take it from me." I am all about the giveaway sites and sadly never win. But your story gives me hope and I figure the odds are better if I add one more site to my list. And the pioneer women too, what the heck. mwa haha.

Congrats on the weight loss. We totally noticed and I was totally jealous.

Shalee said...

You're looking pretty amazing if I do say so myself. I am so trying this pickle thing....as soon as I can find where I put them...moving sucks.

I love the headband! It just brings out your skinny-ness! I should start hanging out with more...maybe some luck will rub off on me!

crystal carlson said...

YAY Katy! That is so awesome that you lost 30 pounds!!! I am so proud of you--way to go! Sadly, I'm going in the opposite direction, but it's for a good cause :) That's awesome that you won those giveaways--how fun! Keep up the good work :)

Michelle said...

LOVE the headband!! So jealous for all your winnings and losing! Keep up the good work!
It was so good to catch up with you this weekend!!!

Allison said...

INCREDIBLE!!! I was just thinking the picture with you and the awesome headband was looking very babe-ish and your face looks so skinny! Wow! Congrats. Losing weight is a BIG feat, let alone 30 lbs of it. You are my hero and from now on, my personal trainer. Thanks:). Wow! Looks like things are looking up in a big way. That's so great and you're awesome- did I say that already?

Michelle said...

Good job, way to go! And I love the headband, it's adorable!

My mom is addicted to www.livestrong.com

It works toward your goal, tracks everything for you, etc. So there's another resource to check out, if you want. :-)

britt said...

wow...I was going to say your self pic looked so so good! your face is so skinny! I need a full body! I'm so proud of you.

RileyDestry said...

Thirty pounds! This is big. This is a BIG BIG deal! Congrats. I hope you are giving yourself a nice shopping spree to celebrate your awesome-ness!

PS- Lets play soon.

Kristen and Andrew said...

YOU ARE 19 AND LIVE A CRAZY LIFE!!! KATY!! 30 pounds?! Are you kidding me?! WOW. WOWEY. WOWSERS. WAY TO GO! You look great in that one picture of you being all serious and mature with your cute new headband.
While in Cali. Ayrel and I were talking about you. Of course. We were saying how you should write something. Little did I know... you were already writing a book. NONE of this private blog crapola... this could go somewhere... and I mean it.
OK.... so here is the deal. We need to get together. ok. ok.

Globe Trotters said...

BTW- as I was leaving school earlier this week I thought...next K&A trip will involve YOU for sure. I thought this way before you even mentioned it. I swear. I knew all along something was missing. And so next time it will be KK&A :)
Ps- email me your address, I want to show you a special picture...
ayrelj@yahoo.com

jared and susan said...

30 pounds you are amazing!!! I am so excited for you but I must say I can't figure out were you got thirty pounds to loose. Good job, your very inspiring. I have only gained weight since I moved here to boston, almost 10 pounds yuck. But I am trying to loose now, which I must say is no fun, but the smaller pants are fun and feeling good about myself will be fun. Wew!

The Emericks said...

Katy. You are amazing! Thirty lbs is a lot of determination and hard work! Yea for you! You are such an amazing person and I am so grateful I can call you a friend!

summerbummer said...

wow.. 27 comments before me. Well, you may not get to reading my comment, but if you do... you're totally inspiring Katy! "Don't say no, just say stop" is GENIUS! and i love the purple too. Lucky girl!