Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fête Nationale

Happy Bastille Day!!!!!

Today is the French National Holiday and since I consider myself part (well, FRACTION) French through proxy (twice removed?)-- I'll be celebrating with Hi Suk and Jean Claude too.

Salut, Ronin's! Party Hard, my dears, Party Hard.

ONE YEAR AGO....

We were preparing for the greatest trip we've ever taken. And since summer has rolled around on us again, I realize (and Taylor and Ava) how much we MISS France. Here's just a few of the things we nostalgically swoon over while we're sitting around here in Rexburg.

Firstly and Mostly, we miss Hi Suk and Jean Claude... they are Hilarious and FUN. They are still 22 years old (in fact, I'm quite certain they are YOUNGER than most 22 year olds that I know). Adventurous, strong and still in LOVE... we miss our new "parents".

And Alexis, JC's son, is way cool... from his sweet specs all the way down to his awesome sandals from Spain.

In Southern France the countryside is lush, beautiful, and full of deep sighs of contentment.



Oh and Castles!! Like on every corner (even though there really are NO CORNERS in the country). They're as common as Grease Monkey's here in the States, but WAY more magnifique. I never got tired of looking at them.

The FOOD.
I know you knew there was gonna be a Food tribute... no use trying to surprise anyone there. But HONESTLY, I cannot say ENOUGH about the food we ate there. (what's that you say? I HAVE said enough? Pish-Posh)

Trying. To Hold. Back. Tears.


AAHHHHH!!! WAAAAAHHHH!!!! Can't do it... it's all too much! Sob...
OH I MISS the food.

Let's wipe our chins and our tears and bravley move on.


Rustic Charm... sigh.


Rustic Charm? Sigh?


Birthdays!!!
Crap, now that T's birthday is coming up again, what am I to do??? Brazil? Cancun? New Zealand? Rigby, Idaho? Suggestions?


Ava was the PERFECT age for this trip... it could NOT have been better in terms of her "moldy-ness" (and I'm not talking about the fuzzy green stuff) she was just so easy to please and could sleep anywhere... that made our outings very easy. Not to mention incredibly happy and easy to be around (versus these last few weeks of Terrible Two-isms! ha. ha. dry laughter.)

Dang, she was so small-- my wee little bebe.


Did I mention that she slept on the go... ?
Sweet Tender Mercies from Above.


Taylor and I have never done this much walking and this summer we realized how much we really wish we had all the great treks that we used to go on.


All those fresh food Markets! I really really miss going to those.


And all the Spectacular villages in the area-- you'll never get bored, EVER!
My favorite little village is... no, wait, I can't pick ONE!


Lissac sur Couze
I. MISS. the HOUSE.
Terribly.
The Ronin's home is picture-perfect.... oh how I MISS IT.
This was my favorite place to be... on the back patio, looking at JC's garden and pretending that we were the only people in the whole wide world... or just reading... usually just reading though.


Goofin'. Boy did we Goof a lot! I think I know where I get my shockingly, ridiculously, hilariously hilarious sense of humor from. I know, I'm a second-gen funny girl.

no... wait, THAT (along with NO apparent skill in the arts) was unfortunately NOT passed down to me. Not. Fair.


DOORS!
DOOOOOOORS!!!!!
I seriously can NOT get over the whimsy, fairy-esque doors they have in France.
One day, I'm gonna stick it to the Man (whoever that may be) and paint my door Frenchy Blue, or Whimsy Green or Fairy Red...
Mark. My. Words.



And NOW... A little jaunt through Paris
the most awesomest city in the wooooorld.
right behind Rock Springs, Wyoming.
HA, just making sure you were still paying attention.

(ps. stop scrolling up and looking at the food.... remember, we've MOVED ON)


Is it too cliche to say that I ADORE this city?
But I must be honest here and say that Taylor and I really did miss the wide open, lazy droll of magical Southern France. Paris does have a beat of it's own... a beat that we LOVED.


Just a few of the big ones... I know you've seen all of these before, but who doesn't like to revisit the glorious past?


Fine, Fine, I'll post another one of the food. (soooo exasperating!)


We did take a few breathers while sprinting around the city.


All that ART... art, art, art... EVERYWHERE!
Hello Crash Course in all things Fine and Cultured.
Amazing.


Celebrating our Four Years together!!!!
From the Top of the Eiffel Tower to a night cruise on the Siene... magical in every way.
(even the part where the entire boat and it's patrons started singing T Happy Birthday due to JC's sneaky and wily ways!! HILARITY)

Speaking of Celebrations:
Happy Happy Bastille Day!
Wishing we were on the Champs-Élysées with all the partiers!

Gros Bisous!! MWUAH

13 comments:

crystal carlson said...

That was so fun to see all of your pictures from France! I'm so glad you guys were able to go & that you shared it with all of us at home! Let us know what you decide to do for Taylor's B-day & your anniversary!

Liz said...

I love looking at your pictures - you've really got a great eye for photography. Want to teach me your secrets?

Amy Daniel said...

Amazing! I LOVE your photos. You are a great photographer. What a beautiful landscape France has! I wish I could have gone to the countryside when I went but alas, we only went to Paris. I am thoroughly jealous.

crystal carlson said...

Katy--just had to tell you that I will be posting the Monster cookies, it just might take me a week or 2! Also, the others are Chocolate Oatmeal Bars and I have posted them :) Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

JEALOUS!! What was once your REAL LIFE experience, is just another poor man's dream vacation. Someday.....I'll get to blow out a candle that looks like a sparkler. I MISS YOU!

angie said...

I too LOVE Paris! I will go back with you any day! Love looking at the pictures. :)

Matt and Jess said...

Wow, what an amazing trip! I would want to go back too! I love JC's house and I love all the doors too!

Ami Paulsen said...

You'd rather be in France than Rexburg?????

The Murdocks said...

How incredibe. I will have to venture there with you the next time you go. I love all the pictures, the food, the doors, the counrty side...amazing!

White Family said...

Je t'adore! Oh dear this post brought back so many wild and wonderful memories from when I lived vicariously through you on your vacation in France. Ok let's be serious now. Most of MY vacation experience was spent being bright green with envy that you were actually there, and that my imagination was not vivid enough in the slightest to make it just as good as being there. Especially the...no I can't think of just one especially, I want it all! I want to eat my cheese and bread and chocolate in front of a cute little whimsical blue door on castle grounds while looking at the Mona Lisa! Yeah, that's about right. If only I could get the Siene river to float on by while doing all that I'd be in HEAVEN. Oh and Ava! How she has grown! She's as much of a delightful little treat now as she was back then. I just want to nibble her cute little chunkiness in these pictures! Happy Bastille Day to you my dear! I wish I could go party on the Champs-Elysees avec toi! Oh the fun we'd have...maybe someday!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, great comments, seems wonderful! I wish I was there!
Landscapes are fabulous. Of course I wouldn't live in such a remote place, with so many ancient houses, worn out doors and ancient castles at every corner.
And apparently no KFC! Though the food looks awesome, it makes my mouth waters!
And how come so many people seems to be sleeping everywhere? Are there tse-tse flies in france?
How come there's no picture of Bastille? Dis you miss it in Paris?
No more kidding, you experienced a wonderful trip and it shows!

Mrs. Boojwa said...

Well DANG. I am jealous you got to go there!!! Maybe someday...

Blank said...

Katy, oh boy do I love your comments, and your posts for that matter. I was sad they couldn't get a hold of you, but it was short notice on a Saturday and I'm sure you where out having some family fun. I also am a Zac E fan but I've toned it down a little, I think it was a little weird for Chris. He's from right where we were living in CA. I would tell Chris that we should drive around during the holidays to see if we could get a glimpse. I know slightly creepy. In my defense, I have no friends. Ok enough about me. I enjoyed reliving your magnificent vacation. What an awesome memory. The only problem will be when Ava says, I don't remember that trip we should go again.