Wednesday, September 23, 2009

All is Well....

A quick update:

I'm CANCER-FREE!!!! No detectable additional growth anywhere the doctor can find which is an immense relief!

However, my oncologist told us that we are still at somewhat of a risk (a very small risk, I believe) for mutated cell growth which then turns into an aggressive cancer called Choriocarnioma.

This sounds scarier than it is, I promise!

This type of cancer is the wish-list kind... meaning if anyone were to ever have to choose what kind of cancer to have, this one would be it. It reacts VERY WELL to chemotherapy. And the best part, the chemo that is used is incredibly mild and tolerable.

So... here's the plan thus far. I'll go in once a week and get a shot of a chemotherapy called Methatrexate. Why? To blast any and all cells that could turn into cancer once and for all. This is prevention more than anything. This will be the case for a while as we watch my HCG levels (pregnancy hormone that is an indication of either a baby or this type of cell growth) and when my levels get down to less than 5 (I'm currently at 135,000) and stays below 5 for 3 consecutive weeks, then the chemo will discontinue. I asked my doc what the time frame looked like. He said anywhere between 6 months to a year, then we should be cleared to start trying for another baby!!! This makes me a very happy woman!

Now, about how I feel.

I feel RELIEVED. I know things will be okay, better than okay.

I feel so GRATEFUL for my health and especially the health of my family.

I feel OPTIMISM.

I feel sad at times, but that's all part of the whole crazy situation.

But mostly I feel LOVED. I feel so much support and love from all of you.

And for that, we THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts.







Today was my first shot of meds... things went great (except for the fact that I was rolling up my sleeve for the shot and the nurse laughed and said, "Nope, gonna have to bare your butt instead". Nice.



My bum hurts.

24 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

YAY!!! I am rooting for you with flailing arms and a big smile! As crappy as this situation COULD be, I am proud of you for making the best of it.Butt shots. THE WORST. Maybe you could slip a little "kiss this" in there. Just to be funny. :)

Ami Paulsen said...

HORRAY!!! I'm so happy for you! That is great news. At first when you said you rolled up your sleeve and the nurse looked at you funny, I thought she was going to say "Hmmmm... Plasma "donor" (you know what word I want to use) aren't you?" Is that scar stil visible? :)

Angela said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well. We are thinking of you and rooting things to continue to go well! You are such an example with your positive attitude.

angie said...

So glad things are going well. It sounds like you have a good plan in place. We will continue to pray for you, Katy!

crystal carlson said...

I'm SOOOO glad that things turned out well! You're so awesome to have such a good attitude about everything! Good luck with your shots--those don't sound too fun!

Michelle said...

YEAH!! I'm so glad that you have good news! Good luck with the bum shots, that would hurt to have to sit on it all day after that. Keep me posted, but I am so glad to hear that things are looking up!

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

You are so amazing, Katy! I love your optimism and spirit... I'm so glad that you are cancer-free, and that you'll be able to try again in a year or so. :)

Allison said...

Ouch! Shots in the bum hurt! Glad things are sounding better and you guys are pulling through. Good news!

Vrska's said...

That is good news!! But I still feel terrible you have to take chemo! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys! If Taylor ever needs to stay home from work to help you out, I'm sure I could work that!!

{Alynn} said...

: )
If you're happy, I'm happy!

Good luck with all those shots! I think you need a reward each time you're a brave girl -- I buy my kids ice cream (big surprise!)

Kaysi said...

I'm so happy for you! Why to turn this trial and see optimism in it. You are amazing Katy!

Mrs. Boojwa said...

Glad to know that prayers from probably all over the place have been answered :) I can't imagine having to go through all that emotional-ness. You are amazing! We'll keep prayin for ya!

Krista & Tyler said...

when your food starts tasting wierd, its the methotrexate. don't worry. that's what my dad was on for a long time. i'm so happy for you. we just love you guys so much :) love ya

Liz said...

I had a feeling everything was going to be okay. I'm SO glad to hear that you're cancer free. You have such an incredible attitude. Love you!

White Family said...

That's such wonderful news! I'm hoping and praying for the minimum of 6 months. I love that after all the bad news and heartche, FINALLY a shred of good news. You are my little asian warrior, like Mulan! I adore you and all that you are! Keep us all updated on the treatments. I know I probably speak for many of your friends when I say we are relieved to hear this good news. Prayers have definitely been answered.

Becki R said...

I haven't checked blogs in a while...so I'm late but here! I am sooooo happy for you! I hope that everything works out great for baby #2 to come along soon!

Matt and Jess said...

Katy, you are amazing!! I'm so glad that everything is going well for you and your fam. Keep up the positive attitude. p.s. I wish you were near to play tennis with me!

Matt and Jess said...

Katy, you are amazing!! I'm so glad that everything is going well for you and your fam. Keep up the positive attitude. p.s. I wish you were near to play tennis with me!

Amy Daniel said...

Whoo hoo! Good to hear that the worst parts are over. I admire your optimism. So... maybe now would be the prefect time for a family vacation? I hear Arizona in the winter is fabulous. You could visit Jess and her family, and then we could officially hang out!

Kris said...

HI
I found your blog through, I'm not sure actually how I found it. But I know you participate in the Mission 24 blog (and know Rachel, so do I) and maybe that is where I found this blog.
I just read this post and the one below about your Molar pregnancy. I just wanted to add my words of comfort and understanding as I went through almost this same exact thing! It started last December and finally ended in March, three months of it! I was an emotional roller coaster and I wanted to let you know, I KNOW exactly all the feelings you are going through. Let me know if you want to talk. I know I'm a total stranger to you but some times it's good to talk it out with some one who's been through the same thing.

Kristin

Kurt and Lacey Kinghorn said...

I love your attitude! You're going through such a hard time and your post is titled "All is well" Hang in there!

Blank said...

I'm glad to hear that things are looking up for you and your family. We have definitely been thinking about you guys. Thanks for squeezing in some family pics too. You are all looking as lovely as ever.

The Murdocks said...

You are so strong, we are praying for you, and hope everything goes well. I love your optimism! You are great!